Well, everything started when I went in for my 39 week appointment where I was sure I still had at least another week before I went into labor. My doctor took my measurements and thought I was still measuring pretty small and wanted to make sure everything was okay, so he sent me in for an ultrasound. As I was leaving his office he told me to pack my hospital bags just in case they would need me to deliver the baby. Well that kind of panicked me because I was not expecting to hear that at all. Although I was only a week away from my due date, I wasn't expecting to have it that soon. I came home that day and Jason and I went on a major shopping trip, did lots of laundry, organized the baby's room, and cleaned the house. In the meantime I also had to get everything at school ready for my substitute and I had to make arrangements for a Young Women's dinner that I was supposed to be putting on Wednesday, just in case anything happened.
Wednesday came along and I went to a half day at work, and then took off early to make it to my 1:00 appointment. Jason met me there and we went in to get the ultrasound done. As the doctor was looking at our baby, she noticed not only that her stomach was about 8 weeks behind where it should have been (which could be a sign of weight loss), but that she was breech as well! At my appointment on Monday with Dr. Berry, he felt the baby's head and said that it was in a down position - so sometime in between Monday and Wednesday, little Mckenna had decided to turn completely around. Because of those two factors, the doctor thought that it was in the baby's best interest to be delivered and get her out where she could be in a more controlled environment.
Jason and I had to stay the night in the hospital so the baby could be monitored and then in the morning the doctor was going to try and turn her to see if they couldn't get her head facing down again. After long hours of waiting and continually having to push back our time, we finally got in, but had no luck in turning her. That was it, we were scheduled to go in for a c section within the next hour. Well, we actually ended up waiting another 5 hours, but we finally got in and Mckenna was born at 6:43 p.m., weighed 5 lbs. 3 oz., and was 17.5 inches long.
Although this whole situation came at us a little unexpectedly, everything really worked out perfectly and both Jason and I are so grateful that things went as smoothly as they did, and that in the end we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl. She has been a pretty mellow baby, but has a huge appetite, probably to compensate for her being so small. She LOVES to eat, and sometimes I feel that's all we do, but we're just grateful she's growing and progressing as well as she is.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment